Lead Your Team With Sean's Team Building and Leadership Blog
Sean's Team Building and Team Leadership Blog Shares Insights and Inspiration to Lead from Where You Are!
Ten Twitter Feeds For Teachers and Principals
Technology is slowly creeping into even the most staunchly traditional classrooms, and with it comes a need for teachers to embrace (or at least understand and become conversant with) all that current technology offers as tools for student engagement.
In addition to using technology to engage students, the information that technology makes available is a constant and inspirational stream of ideas and creative insights that, once discovered, allows a teacher to grow and expand the depth and breadth of influence on their students.
While social media accounts such as facebook allow people to connect by sharing informational updates and pictures of their activities, most were not meant to be used as educational tools and have not evolved over time into that role, either.
The emergence of twitter, though, is another, more relevant, story.
For those unfamiliar with it, you can find a very useful introduction to twitter here.
For those who are already aware of the usefulness but have yet to incorporate it into the classroom, you can find a list of 100 ways to teach with twitter here.
And for those who are looking for great voices to follow, here is a short list of the top ten twitter feeds for teachers and principals:
10. @webenglishteach - English teacher, technology advocate, webmaster.
9. @NMHS_Principal -Principal of New Milford HS w/ an interest in EdTech+Change leadership; Google Certified Teacher, ASCD Conference Scholar, Author, Speaker
8. @WeAreTeachers - Online community of teachers of all types. Teacher social network, Web 2.0, Education, Knowledge Marketplace
7. @cyberteacher - Learner, Developer, Presenter, METC Advisory Board, Adjunct Professor, wife & mom of 4 ~ trying to Make-A-Difference
6. @TeachingIdeas - Providing free ideas, resources, links and news to teachers around the world.
5. @TLC_edu - I'm Kimberly Warrner. Tweet with me about 21st Century learning & any questions about the Teacher Learning Community.
4. @edutopia - Inspiration and information for what works in education.
3. @web20classroom - Educator, Speaker, Blogger, #Edchat Co-Creator, #140Conf Character, Edublogs Twitterer Of The Year, ASCD Conf. Scholar.
2. @coolcatteacher - Cool Cat Teacher - Best teacher blog award winner.
1. @TeachHub - TeachHUB.com is a K12 resource site By Teachers for Teachers.
I hope you will add the above contributors to your own twitter feed, and would also encourage you to consider these “honorable mentions”: @TeachersNet, @TeachPaperless, @21stprincipal, @EdVoices, @kylepace, @Educator, and @edgalaxy_com.
Not everyone can be in the top ten, but these additional interesting and insightful voices deserve at least a mention as part of my list of twitter feeds for teachers and principals, and are certainly valuable sources of information as well.
Teaching is about relationships and building a community and culture of learning.
If ever I can assist you and your faculty with a fun day of teambuilding activities to bring your teachers closer together, share some laughter, and incorporate a few impactful ideas into a future staff development day, contact me to schedule an event your faculty will rave about!
It would be my pleasure to turbo-charge faculty morale, communication, and teamwork!